Evelyn Levett Sutton
In the north choir aisle of Westminster Abbey is a white marble monument by Sir Francis Chantrey to the memory of the Reverend Evelyn Levett Sutton. This includes a relief of a weeping woman, kneeling and resting on two books. On each side of the sarcophagus are reliefs of a chalice and book and a Lamb and a cross. The inscription reads:
Sacred to the memory of the Reverend Evelyn Levett Sutton, M.A. prebendary of Westminster, Rector of High Holden [Halden] in the Weald of Kent and Vicar of St Peters in the Isle of Thanet. Born 1777. Died Jan 1834. The learning of the scholar, the benevolence of the Christian obtained the esteem of the wise and the good, while his graceful wit, classic elegance of mind, and gentle and generous heart made him the delight of all who knew him. His widow, now happiest when recalling her husband's worth and love, seeks in this monument to record her loss and her affection
The date of death on the monument should be 1835. He was a son of Evelyn Sutton of London and was born on 10 June 1777 and educated at Hampstead and Cambridge. He was rector of St Alphege, Canterbury 1806-1812, of High Halden 1812-1835 and prebendary at the Abbey from 1832-1835. In 1827 he was also appointed a chaplain to the House of Commons. On 25th January, while reading the 9th commandment at the Abbey service, he suddenly fell down and was removed to his house in the precincts where he died. It is not known where he is buried.