Sir Hugh Ridley Sykes

Sir Hugh Ridley Sykes, industrialist, was a major donor to the Westminster Abbey Restoration Appeal, which culminated in 1995 in the restoration of Henry VII's Lady Chapel.

The stained glass in the west window of this chapel includes his coat of arms (on the lower row) with other donors and trustees and a small window to him alone can be seen in the north east apsidal chapel. This was designed by Alfred Fisher of Chapel Studios. It includes his arms and other symbols and the words:

Hugh Ridley Sykes Master Cutler Sheffield 1990-1991

And motto:

Instanter Operare

He was born on 12th September 1932 and educated at Bristol and Cambridge, studying law. He rose to be chairman, director or trustee of many concerns including banking and set up the Hugh and Ruby Sykes Charitable Trust. His first wife was Norah Dougan and his second Ruby Anderson.

Born

12th September 1932

Occupation

Writer; philanthropist

Location

Lady Chapel

Memorial Type

Window

Material Type

Glass

Sir Hugh Ridley Sykes
Sir Hugh Ridley Sykes window

This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library

Image © 2022 Dean and Chapter of Westminster