The ashes of William Bishop were buried in the west cloister of Westminster Abbey. He held the post of Clerk of Works at the Abbey and, under the supervison of the Surveyor of the Fabric, supervised the day to day maintenance of the Abbey and all its buildings as well as much of the restoration work being undertaken at this period. His office was at 16 Dean's Yard. When the historic Stone of Scone (or Coronation Stone) was stolen from the Abbey in 1950 he went to Scotland to identify the recovered Stone.
He was born in Scotland and married Ann Blyth who is buried with him. Their daughters were Jenny and Barbara. On retirement he received the honour Member of the Victorian Order.
The inscription reads:
William Bishop MVO. Born 7 July 1882. Died 5 July 1962. Clerk of Works 1928-1955. Also Ann Bishop his wife died 10 Jan 1971.